Bideford College scoops another eco accolade
Building firm celebrates school sustainability award win
THE newly-built Bideford College has been named Sustainability Project of the Year at an awards ceremony to celebrate the best construction projects in the public sector.
The �54 million 1,800 pupil campus, completed in September last year, was recognised for its low carbon design at the Society of Chief Architects of Local Authorities (SCALA) Civic Building of the Year Awards, held in Leeds earlier this month.
The project was led by construction, infrastructure and design company, Morgan Sindall, incorporates a number of cutting edge ecological and environmental systems to reduce CO2 emissions.
The BREEAM excellent-rated building is designed to be as carbon neutral as possible and features a biomass heater with locally sourced woodchips, solar heating from a south-facing curtain wall; two micro-turbines to supplement electricity to the building; and sedum roofing.
Chris Spear, area director for Morgan Sindall, said: “One of the biggest challenges facing the construction industry today is to produce buildings which are both environmentally friendly and cost-efficient to run.
“Bideford College fulfils these objectives using innovative design and we’re pleased this project has been recognised with such a prestigious award.”
- 1 Christmas Drive-In Cinema coming to Barnstaple
- 2 Indecent exposure near Barnstaple park under investigation
- 3 OPINION: Realising the full potential of the Celtic Sea - Selaine Saxby
- 4 Bideford Christmas Light Switch On dates announced
- 5 Hip-hop comes to Torrington Dental Practice
- 6 Hero soldier auctioning medals to provide ‘best opportunities’ for his children
- 7 Bring the children to see Santa at Chivenor Christmas Craft Market
- 8 Property of the Week: Hanson Park - Northam
- 9 Get dressed up to Race the Reindeer in Bideford this Christmas
- 10 OPINION: Myth busting the Green Lanes purchase - David Worden