Bideford Co-op to close
ONE of Bideford s longest established supermarket stores is to close next week. The Plymouth and South West Co-operative Society store in Clovelly Road is now holding a closing down clearance sale before its final day of business on September 2. It has b
ONE of Bideford's longest established supermarket stores is to close next week.
The Plymouth and South West Co-operative Society store in Clovelly Road is now holding a closing down clearance sale before its final day of business on September 2.
It has been a Co-op store for the past 14 years and before that was Normans Cash and Carry. There are 34 staff.
Chief Executive Douglas Fletcher said: "It is always unfortunate when the decision is made to close a store. We regret the impact of the decision on our employees and apologise for any inconvenience caused to our customers, however, we must always look to protect the future of the majority of our employees. The Society will seek to offer alternative employment to employees who are able to relocate.
"The Society has been in negotiations to relinquish the lease of our store at Clovelly Road for a considerable amount of time. Unfortunately, the unit has been in a continuing loss making situation which is partly due to the intensification of competition nearby."
A new Asda store opened at the Atlantic Village Shopping Centre in Clovelly Road last year.
- 1 PICTURES: Bideford Christmas lights switched on in style
- 2 Property of the Week: Daddon Close, Bideford
- 3 Litter around North Devon schools and colleges is a 'disgrace'
- 4 North Devon’s Panto sells 10,000 Cinderella tickets
- 5 An exciting new era for marine futures in northern Devon
- 6 Bideford beat top side Truro in challenging conditions
- 7 Unique seaside wedding venue to put £1m into Combe Martin economy
- 8 New Castle Hill Work Hub launched to support businesses in Torrington
- 9 South West businesses fear HMRC clamp down
- 10 Hospices’ Light Up a Life appeal will support families in grief