Bideford Co-op to close
ONE of Bideford s longest established supermarket stores is to close next week. The Plymouth and South West Co-operative Society store in Clovelly Road is now holding a closing down clearance sale before its final day of business on September 2. It has b
ONE of Bideford's longest established supermarket stores is to close next week.
The Plymouth and South West Co-operative Society store in Clovelly Road is now holding a closing down clearance sale before its final day of business on September 2.
It has been a Co-op store for the past 14 years and before that was Normans Cash and Carry. There are 34 staff.
Chief Executive Douglas Fletcher said: "It is always unfortunate when the decision is made to close a store. We regret the impact of the decision on our employees and apologise for any inconvenience caused to our customers, however, we must always look to protect the future of the majority of our employees. The Society will seek to offer alternative employment to employees who are able to relocate.
You may also want to watch:
"The Society has been in negotiations to relinquish the lease of our store at Clovelly Road for a considerable amount of time. Unfortunately, the unit has been in a continuing loss making situation which is partly due to the intensification of competition nearby."
A new Asda store opened at the Atlantic Village Shopping Centre in Clovelly Road last year.
- 1 2021 North Devon Show cancelled
- 2 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 3 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 4 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 5 Prince Philip's last North Devon visit remembered
- 6 Flags fly at half mast across North Devon for Prince Philip
- 7 Property of the Week: Ford Rise, Bideford
- 8 Rapid coronavirus tests now available across Devon
- 9 Date set for reopening of Bideford Pannier Market
- 10 Lord-Lieutenant of Devon pays tribute to Prince Philip