Bideford Co-op to close
ONE of Bideford s longest established supermarket stores is to close next week. The Plymouth and South West Co-operative Society store in Clovelly Road is now holding a closing down clearance sale before its final day of business on September 2. It has b
ONE of Bideford's longest established supermarket stores is to close next week.
The Plymouth and South West Co-operative Society store in Clovelly Road is now holding a closing down clearance sale before its final day of business on September 2.
It has been a Co-op store for the past 14 years and before that was Normans Cash and Carry. There are 34 staff.
Chief Executive Douglas Fletcher said: "It is always unfortunate when the decision is made to close a store. We regret the impact of the decision on our employees and apologise for any inconvenience caused to our customers, however, we must always look to protect the future of the majority of our employees. The Society will seek to offer alternative employment to employees who are able to relocate.
You may also want to watch:
"The Society has been in negotiations to relinquish the lease of our store at Clovelly Road for a considerable amount of time. Unfortunately, the unit has been in a continuing loss making situation which is partly due to the intensification of competition nearby."
A new Asda store opened at the Atlantic Village Shopping Centre in Clovelly Road last year.
- 1 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 2 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 3 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 4 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 5 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 6 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 7 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 8 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 9 Ilfracombe lifeboat tows stricken yacht to safety
- 10 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington