Bideford carnival secretary retires
BIDEFORD Carnival secretary Mike Harper and his partner Gaylena are stepping down from the duties they have carried out over the past seven years. The search is now on for a replacement or replacements to take up the mantle and help steer the carnival int
BIDEFORD Carnival secretary Mike Harper and his partner Gaylena are stepping down from the duties they have carried out over the past seven years.
The search is now on for a replacement or replacements to take up the mantle and help steer the carnival into the future.
Mike and Gaylena are having to spend more time on their business F and F Promotions, which supplies rock and pop merchandise and seasonal fancy dress.
They are also heavily involved in the Massed Pipes and Drums attraction which has grown steadily alongside Bideford's annual carnival and is now an important event in its own right, with more than 100 pipers from widespread bands annually taking part. They also run Bideford's own Youth Pipe Band, of which Gaylena is Pipe Major.
You may also want to watch:
"I just don't have the time to sort out the carnival, the pipe band, the massed pipes and drums and to try to run a business as well," said Mike. "So on carnival day I want to be able to give more time to the band and the massed pipes and drums."
Mike took over as carnival secretary from Gaylena's late father Mike Humphries, who was secretary for 24 years with his wife Maureen, who is still working hard on the committee and preparing the carnival queens and attendants after 30 years.
- 1 North Devon company fined for pollution that killed more than 9,000 fish
- 2 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 3 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 4 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 5 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 6 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 8 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 9 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 10 Ilfracombe lifeboat tows stricken yacht to safety
Mike and Gaylena say they will be happy to help out any new secretary, but cannot continue the duties themselves. Anyone interested can contact them for a chat on (01237) 422477.