Bideford Carnival results and pictures
CHRISTMAS came early in Bideford on Saturday night, with Santas, snow and presents galore. Spring also sprang to life, while summer was still with us and the colours of autumn, too, as the four seasons provided the theme for Bideford s annual carnival par
CHRISTMAS came early in Bideford on Saturday night, with Santas, snow and presents galore.
Spring also sprang to life, while summer was still with us and the colours of autumn, too, as the four seasons provided the theme for Bideford's annual carnival parade.
Bands and music added to the spectacle, not least the now familiar massed pipes and drums drawn from a wide area to take part in the parade and to entertain en masse on The Quay into the evening.
More than 100 pipers and drummers put on a rousing performance in what is thought to be the biggest gathering of pipers and drummers in the South West of England.
You may also want to watch:
Brass bands, Samba and five troupes of majorettes also added to the musical atmosphere.
Large crowds turned out to watch and listen and showed their appreciation with showers of coins from which the main benficiary will be the Help the Heroes charity.
- 1 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 2 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 3 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 4 Ram raid burglar jailed after rampaging crime spree
- 5 Suspect remains in custody as Northam murder enquiry continues
- 6 There's light at the end of the tunnel - but for now embrace lockdown life
- 7 Terrified shoppers fled Devon city centre attack
- 8 Murder enquiry launched at Northam after death of elderly woman
- 9 Covid-19: Follow the spirit of lockdown says police chief
- 10 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
The fun ended with a spectacular firework display.
"What a brilliant day. I was delighted to see so many great entries and the crowds watching were even bigger than last year. Thank you to everyone who helped make it a great show," said carnival secretary Mike Harper.
Adult float: Christmas Theme (M Davis, Stucley Rd). Children's float:Four seasons, East-the-Water School.
Organisation or Club: Festival of the Seasons (Bideford Area Scouts).
Trade: RGB Working Smurfs (RGB, Bideford).
Walking group with vehicle: World of Disney (G Cook). Walking adult: Indian Summer (June Upton).
Walking children: Winter Wonderland (Jack Thurlow). Walking toddlers: Snow Queen (Caitlin Gubb).
Adult walking groups:Seasoning Potts (C Taylor).
Children's walking groups: Seasonal Explosion (St John Ambulance Badgers).
Walking Pairs: Football players summer and winter (D Luongo).
Self Propelled Vehicles: Northam Lodge.
Queen of Queens: Bude Carnival Queen
Visiting Fairy Queen: Appledore Fairy Queen
Visiting royalty: Appledore Royalty.
Majorettes: Phoenix Allstars Majorettes.
Children's floats: Four Seasons in One Day (St John Ambulance Cadets).
Theme float: Christmas Theme (M Davis, Stucley Road)
Theme walker: Northam Lodge.
Overall walker: Summer Explosion (St John Ambulance, Badgers)
Overall float: East-the-Water School.