Bideford car racers gain national podium place
A TEAM of Bideford College students won third place at the national Scalextric 4 Schools competition at RAF Cosford in Shropshire.
The team also set the fastest lap time - only half a second slower than a Scalextric manufactured McLaren fitted with magnets.
“It was suggested that if the pupils beat the McLaren they’d be offered a job with Scalextric/Hornby with immediate effect!” said their design and technology teacher Nic Hedges
Fifteen school teams from all over the country raced cars that they had designed and made themselves.
The Bideford College entry, under the title Jack Barclay Racing, featured a well developed chassis and lightweight vacuum formed body, liveried to match a full-size supporting Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, on loan from the team’s sponsor Jack Barclay Bentleys, who gave support throughout the development of the cars.
You may also want to watch:
Signage company Blue Orange of South Molton supplied graphics for the large and small cars.
The Bideford Year 7 pupils Aaron Butler, driver, Kieran Snape, Ben Martin and Byron Day-Rogers all did well in their interviews with the judging panel and excelled in fighting off tough and often much more experienced competition.
- 1 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 2 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 3 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 4 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 5 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 6 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 7 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 8 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 9 MISSING: Police search for David Kose from Ilfracombe
- 10 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
The team won a Vodafone McLaren Mercedes F1 Scalextric box set for coming third and each of the team members also received a Scalextric car or two as individual prizes.
Designs and ideas are already in the pipeline for next year’s car - and there is already help and support being given from a well established Formula One team!