Bideford car racers gain national podium place
A TEAM of Bideford College students won third place at the national Scalextric 4 Schools competition at RAF Cosford in Shropshire.
The team also set the fastest lap time - only half a second slower than a Scalextric manufactured McLaren fitted with magnets.
“It was suggested that if the pupils beat the McLaren they’d be offered a job with Scalextric/Hornby with immediate effect!” said their design and technology teacher Nic Hedges
Fifteen school teams from all over the country raced cars that they had designed and made themselves.
The Bideford College entry, under the title Jack Barclay Racing, featured a well developed chassis and lightweight vacuum formed body, liveried to match a full-size supporting Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, on loan from the team’s sponsor Jack Barclay Bentleys, who gave support throughout the development of the cars.
Signage company Blue Orange of South Molton supplied graphics for the large and small cars.
The Bideford Year 7 pupils Aaron Butler, driver, Kieran Snape, Ben Martin and Byron Day-Rogers all did well in their interviews with the judging panel and excelled in fighting off tough and often much more experienced competition.
- 1 Remembering much-loved and once-heaving Ilfracombe train station
- 2 Go ahead for 211 homes but Bideford plans fall short on affordable homes
- 3 North Devon holiday home tax dodgers face crackdown
- 4 South Molton's top 10 rating for pannier market
- 5 Stylish Victorian property offers many period features
- 6 Help turn tide with Appledore community film
- 7 Queen's Theatre panto audiences raise £3,200 for local charities
- 8 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 9 Popular character Joan dies at 92
- 10 Verdant Leisure buys two North Devon holiday parks
The team won a Vodafone McLaren Mercedes F1 Scalextric box set for coming third and each of the team members also received a Scalextric car or two as individual prizes.
Designs and ideas are already in the pipeline for next year’s car - and there is already help and support being given from a well established Formula One team!