Bideford benefit cheat falsely claimed £22k
- Credit: Archant
Council urges claimants to ‘come clean’ about changes in circumstances or face prosecution.
A BIDEFORD woman has admitted claiming more than £22,000 in benefits she wasn’t entitled to
Loretta Hewitt, 29, of Barton Tors, failed to notify Torridge District Council and the Department for Work and Pensions that she had been living with her partner Matthew Cleverly for three years.
She admitted illegally claiming housing and council tax benefits as well as income support between October 2010 and February 2013.
Torridge District Council leader Philip Collins said: “It gives us no pleasure in prosecuting people but sometimes it has to be done.
You may also want to watch:
“Benefits are in place to help local people who really need that kind of support. I would urge anyone claiming benefits who has a change in their personal circumstances to contact us immediately to discuss their correct entitlements.
“Please don’t let it get to the point where we have to prosecute.”
- 1 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 2 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 3 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 4 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 5 Barnstaple Pannier Market support return of Barnstaple In Bloom
- 6 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby leads World Ocean Day debate
- 7 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 8 Barnstaple Roundtable focuses on the importance of defibrillators
- 9 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 10 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
On Friday North Devon Magistrates handed Hewitt, who is already repaying what she owes, a six-month daily curfew between 8pm and 7am. They also ordered Hewitt to pay a victim surcharge of £60 and costs of £105.