Bideford-Barnstaple railway to return next month!
THE Bideford to Barnstaple railway is on its way back! Axed by Beeching more than 40 years ago, the railway line between the two towns is set to return next month – but in miniature! Television personality James May will be attempting to break the world r
THE Bideford to Barnstaple railway is on its way back!
Axed by Beeching more than 40 years ago, the railway line between the two towns is set to return next month - but in miniature!
Television personality James May will be attempting to break the world record for the longest model railway in history, linking Bideford and Barnstaple along a 10-mile section of the Tarka Trail, the former railway route.
He is looking for help from the North Devon community with this ambitious attempt, which will take place on August 24, and will be at the North Devon Agricultural Show on August 5 recruiting for teams.
You may also want to watch:
The attempt will form part on a new BBC television series James May's Toy Stories in which the presenter attempts to "get kids out of their bedrooms and away from their computers, drag parents off their backsides and get them all playing together again."
To do this he is going to take some of Britain's best loved toys and put the nation at the heart of some ludicrously ambitious adventures to remind people of the joys of making something together, with toys that have long captured the imagination.
- 1 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 2 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 3 Suspect remains in custody as Northam murder enquiry continues
- 4 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 5 Ram raid burglar jailed after rampaging crime spree
- 6 Murder enquiry launched at Northam after death of elderly woman
- 7 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
- 8 Terrified shoppers fled Devon city centre attack
- 9 Covid-19: Follow the spirit of lockdown says police chief
- 10 Sextortion warning for North Devon Facebook users
His projects include a garden made entirely out of Plasticine, a full size Airfix Spitfire, a 60-foot Meccano bridge and breaking the world records for Scalextric and model trains.
On North Devon Show day James and the BBC crew will be on stand E-09A adjacent to the Lloyds TSB Ring and he will address visitors from the ring at 11am.