Bideford artist delivers Sea King painting
- Credit: Royal Navy
Army veteran Tony Byrne has gifted his latest painting to the 845 Squadron at RNAS Yeovilton for a charity auction.
A BIDEFORD army veteran and military artist has completed a painting of the ‘King of the Junglies’.
The Sea King ZA 298, based at Yeovilton, was painted by Tony Byrne, who turned to art after being diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder when he left the army in 1990.
Tony said: “I approached 845 Squadron some time back to see if they would be happy for me to produce a painting of this iconic aircraft.
“It was a tremendous honour and privilege to be told they would be delighted for me to do so.
You may also want to watch:
“The work took over three months to create and was an incredible challenge, especially as it was my first painting of a Junglie Sea King.”
Lieutenant commander Matthew Punch, who received the painting from Tony, said it would be a feature in a future charity auction held by the squadron.
- 1 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 2 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 3 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 4 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 5 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 6 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 7 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 8 £100K funding to Torridge towns to support recovery post Covid-19
- 9 Braunton Caen Rotary welcomes their youngest ever club president
- 10 Northam widow was found half under her bed by carer
He said: “Tony is clearly an extremely talented individual doing excellent work for many service charities.
“We are pleased that he has captured ZA298 in such impressive fashion. I, and 845 Naval Air Squadron, thank him for his excellent gift.”
The painting, along with 10 limited edition prints signed by Junglie Aviators, will be displayed in the squadron before being sold at auction to support service charities.