Bideford and back for Coast to Coast cyclists
Charity challenge takes on circular route for the first time in the event’s history
THE route for this year’s Devon Coast-to-Coast cycle challenge was unveiled at a launch party in Barnstaple.
For the first time in the event’s 13-year-history, the 2011 Coast-to-Coast event will follow a circular route, starting and finishing in Bideford on Sunday, June 5.
Nearly 50 entrants signed up for challenge at the Inn on the Square on Sunday night.
Entry is �20, with riders asked to raise a minimum of �50 sponsorship – all in aid of North Devon Hospice.
You may also want to watch:
“Anyone who has taken part will know what a fantastic day it is,” said Andy Unstead, a cycle challenge veteran who has joined the organisers this year.
The annual hospice fund-raiser, which started in 1999 with just four riders, has steadily grown over the years. More than 200 cyclists took part in the 2009 event and last year, 320 cyclists tackled 70 mile and 100 mile routes from Plymouth to Barnstaple.
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 6 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 7 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 8 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 9 MISSING: Police search for David Kose from Ilfracombe
- 10 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
This year, 500 places are up for grabs but participants are urged to secure their places as soon as possible.
“The Devon Coast-to-Coast Challenge is such a success story, and last year we were fully booked weeks before the event,” said Emma Lowe, from hospice’s fund-raising team.”
To enter, call Emma on (01271) 347213 or email email@example.com