Bideford and back for Coast to Coast cyclists
Charity challenge takes on circular route for the first time in the event’s history
THE route for this year’s Devon Coast-to-Coast cycle challenge was unveiled at a launch party in Barnstaple.
For the first time in the event’s 13-year-history, the 2011 Coast-to-Coast event will follow a circular route, starting and finishing in Bideford on Sunday, June 5.
Nearly 50 entrants signed up for challenge at the Inn on the Square on Sunday night.
Entry is �20, with riders asked to raise a minimum of �50 sponsorship – all in aid of North Devon Hospice.
You may also want to watch:
“Anyone who has taken part will know what a fantastic day it is,” said Andy Unstead, a cycle challenge veteran who has joined the organisers this year.
The annual hospice fund-raiser, which started in 1999 with just four riders, has steadily grown over the years. More than 200 cyclists took part in the 2009 event and last year, 320 cyclists tackled 70 mile and 100 mile routes from Plymouth to Barnstaple.
- 1 Jealous Barnstaple boyfriend made divorcee get rid of wedding dress
- 2 North Devon business signs up to 1 billion tree project
- 3 The Plough announces Open-Air Theatre Festival
- 4 Bungling Northam burglar facing jail
- 5 Why it‘s important to shop local in North Devon post-lockdown
- 6 Criminal damage at Fremington Football Club - Police appeal
- 7 MP nominates North Devon champions for Levelling Up Awards
- 8 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 9 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 10 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
This year, 500 places are up for grabs but participants are urged to secure their places as soon as possible.
“The Devon Coast-to-Coast Challenge is such a success story, and last year we were fully booked weeks before the event,” said Emma Lowe, from hospice’s fund-raising team.”
To enter, call Emma on (01271) 347213 or email email@example.com