Bid to turn Chulmleigh pub into housing
- Credit: Archant
Owners of The Globe and the Red Lion say the former has to go after losing money for four years.
PLANS have been lodged to close The Globe Inn at Chulmleigh and turn it into housing.
The company which owns it also runs the Red Lion Hotel in the village and says it wants to focus on that because the Globe has been losing money.
The application seeks to convert it into two dwellings, of four and three bedrooms; within the confines of the existing grade II listed building.
A statement accompanying the application on behalf of owner Red Lion Enterprises Ltd said the business had lost money for all four years of ownership and had been for sale for the past year.
You may also want to watch:
The applicants bought the Globe in 2009, having already owned the Red Lion, and renovated it before opening it as an up market restaurant.
The supporting statement to the plans said despite initial excitement the business still lost money rapidly and although subsequent fish and chip nights were popular with locals, they barely covered the cost of staffing.
- 1 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 2 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 3 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 4 Torridge launches Waste and Recycling Roadshows
- 5 PICTURES: Women 'Walk Taller Than The Trees' at Nightwalk 2021
- 6 PICTURES: Bideford 10k is back for 2021
- 7 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
- 8 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 9 Arts Council England announces support for North Devon
- 10 Dolton remembers resident Rolling Stone Charlie Watts
It said now the owners wished to expand the Red Lion and ensure its survival during a competitive era. Chulmleigh has a third pub, The Old Courthouse.
The plans lodged with North Devon Council do not seek to change the size, outside appearance of the Globe, or the access.
The Globe and its restaurant is still open every Thursday, Friday and Saturday as normal.