Bid to improve North Devon’s sustainability
Decision will be made in September on the �1million bid made by the Biosphere Partnership
A �1million bid to improve the development of local food, energy and water resources in North Devon has been submitted to the Big Lottery’s Communities Living Sustainability fund.
The bid, submitted by the Biosphere Partnership, is aiming to help communities in North Devon adapt to climate change through collective action.
Frances Walsh of North Devon homes, the lead partner and accountable body in the bid, said: “Projects designed with our customers like Seeds for Change community garden in Barnstaple demonstrate that people want to get involved in making where they live better and have an interest in subjects like sustainable living and carbon footprints.”
The decision on the Big Lottery bid will be made in September and if successful, the five-year project will begin the following month.
You may also want to watch:
During the five years, the bid will cover a range of projects including forming a fuel poverty task force, setting up a Biosphere communities connect website and developing partnerships with local businesses.
“The World Biosphere designation challenges us to live more sustainably and to make the most of the area’s quality environment,” said Andrew Bell, the Biosphere Manager.
- 1 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 2 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 3 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 4 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 5 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 6 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 7 'Spot The Oddity' in Bideford for your chance to win £100
- 8 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 9 Braunton Caen Rotary welcomes their youngest ever club president
- 10 £100K funding to Torridge towns to support recovery post Covid-19
“That can be difficult in a part of the country with poor transport and communication networks together with low wages and resulting high levels of deprivation and rural isolation.
“However the answer is in our natural and community assets. This project will help to unlock those solutions and break new ground in community action.”