Bid to close market building at night
NORTH Devon Council s Executive wants the town s pannier market closed at night to prevent crime and anti-social behaviour. At present, a public highway runs through the centre of the historic building connecting Market Street and Butchers Row. The coun
NORTH Devon Council's Executive wants the town's pannier market closed at night to prevent crime and anti-social behaviour.
At present, a public highway runs through the centre of the historic building connecting Market Street and Butchers Row.
The council's Executive wants Devon County Council to grant a gating order, allowing access to be blocked in the evenings.
Council Leader Des Brailey said: "The lack of security at the pannier market has led to us enduring a history of anti-social behaviour and criminal damage in the evenings. The only solution is to secure the building after hours."
If the county council supports the Executive, there will be a formal public consultation. Closure at night is supported by the local police.
- 1 OPINION: Hi-Tech – Is North Devon ahead or behind the curve?
- 2 Masons donate £20,000 to food banks
- 3 Steve’s family and friends bring Christmas to hospital ward
- 4 Property of the Week: Some of the finest views of North Devon's coast
- 5 Specialist fire crews rescue horse trapped in ditch
- 6 Village halls offered cash helping hand in Covid battle
- 7 Covid-19 ventilation advice for North Devon landlords
- 8 Refresh your New Year’s wardrobe by donating unwanted clothes for a good cause
- 9 North Devon Weekend Football Results
- 10 Together we can look forward to 2022