Bid to close market building at night
NORTH Devon Council s Executive wants the town s pannier market closed at night to prevent crime and anti-social behaviour. At present, a public highway runs through the centre of the historic building connecting Market Street and Butchers Row. The coun
NORTH Devon Council's Executive wants the town's pannier market closed at night to prevent crime and anti-social behaviour.
At present, a public highway runs through the centre of the historic building connecting Market Street and Butchers Row.
The council's Executive wants Devon County Council to grant a gating order, allowing access to be blocked in the evenings.
Council Leader Des Brailey said: "The lack of security at the pannier market has led to us enduring a history of anti-social behaviour and criminal damage in the evenings. The only solution is to secure the building after hours."
You may also want to watch:
If the county council supports the Executive, there will be a formal public consultation. Closure at night is supported by the local police.
- 1 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 2 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 3 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 4 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 5 Bid to make Ilfracombe pier car park long stay rejected
- 6 Man hospitalised after alleyway assault in South Molton
- 7 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 8 North Devon fossil hunter's collection goes to auction
- 9 New Pebbleridge Kitchen arrives on Northam Burrows
- 10 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land