Bickington man carrying on Gazette paper round his late wife did for more than 20 years
- Credit: Matt Smart/Contributed
A widower from Bickington is carrying on the Gazette paper round his wife and family have had for more than 25 years.
Sandra Osborne delivered papers in the Roundswell and Bickington area alongside family members for well over two decades before she died in March at the age of 68.
Her husband Terry, who ‘helped out’ with Sandra whenever possible in that time, is carrying on the round and said he hopes to do so for as long as possible.
Terry said: “As a family we must have been doing it for well over 25 years. My son Mark started it at school, then when he left Sandra thought she would try it and was still doing it all those years later.
“I promised her if I could I would try to carry it on, and my granddaughter helps where she can. We’ll see how it goes.
You may also want to watch:
“It was good for us both when we retired. It gave us a focal point of the week and gave us exercise.
“She never had a bad word to say to anybody and would go out of her way to help anybody else. She gave me the best 40 years of my life.”
As Sandra’s funeral was during the coronavirus lockdown, the family hopes to hold a memorial service later in the year, and have set up a Just Giving page to raise money for The Encephalitis Society.
- 1 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 2 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 3 Terrified shoppers fled Devon city centre attack
- 4 Times Past: Bodysnatching in the centre of Barnstaple
- 5 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 6 Times Past: How South Molton centrepiece came to be
- 7 Ram raid burglar jailed after rampaging crime spree
- 8 Suspect remains in custody as Northam murder enquiry continues
- 9 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
- 10 Murder enquiry launched at Northam after death of elderly woman
Donations can also be made through WS Gayton and Son Funeral Directors.