Befrienders wanted by Alzheimer’s Society
Two recruitment events are being held in Bideford and Ilfracombe for volunteers to find out more.
THE Alzheimer’s Society is looking for volunteers to find out about its ‘befriending’ service at two events in Ilfracombe and Bideford.
The befriending service allows volunteers to befriend people with dementia and their carers within the home and local community.
The service is designed to combat the isolation of dementia and could involve anything from trips to the garden centre to having a chat over a cuppa.
Sally Ellis, Volunteering Officer for Alzheimer’s Society, said: “Volunteering can be really rewarding and is a chance to make a real difference to people living with dementia in your community.
You may also want to watch:
“All befrienders receive support and training from Alzheimer’s Society and we help to ensure you are matched with someone with common experiences or interests to help.
“Being a befriender makes such a huge difference to both the person with dementia and their carer – for many it is an opportunity to start doing things again which they may have stopped doing after their diagnosis.”
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 3 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 4 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 5 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 6 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 7 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 8 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 9 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 10 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
Anyone interested in finding out more can attend the events on June 24 at Bideford Town Hall from 9.30am-1pm and June 26 at Ilfracombe Centre from 1pm-5pm.
Alternatively, contact Sally Ellis of the Alzheimer’s Society on 01752 608911 or 07889 604537 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.