Beating the Bounds in South Molton
THE people of South Molton have been invited to revive a 2,000 year old tradition at a Beating the Bounds event on Sunday, June 20. The event has been organised by community group STRIDE and form a four to five kilometre walk along part of the boundary of
THE people of South Molton have been invited to revive a 2,000 year old tradition at a Beating the Bounds event on Sunday, June 20.
The event has been organised by community group STRIDE and form a four to five kilometre walk along part of the boundary of the town between Mole Bridge and Limers Lane.
In bygone days, men of a town or village would take the boys around the parish boundary, beating specific trees and stones with sticks, ensuring they knew the exact location of the boundary and could defend it. The last one in South Molton was in the 1960s,
June's event, held as part of the South Molton Olde English Fayre, will look a little different, with families very welcome to participate - including girls! In the next five years more annual walks are planned at Fayre time, to complete a full circuit of the boundary.
You may also want to watch:
STRIDE - which stands for Strengthening Trails in Devon - is working on a number of ideas to open up more paths, cycle and bridleways in the area.
All landowners on the Mole Bridge to Limers Lane boundary have agreed to this year's walk. STRIDE has now contacted more than half of the owners on the entire boundary, with only one refusal to date and would like to thank all those who agreed.
- 1 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 2 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 5 North Devon architectural practice appoints new director
- 6 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 7 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 8 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 9 Council leader calls Government 'incompetent' and warns of 'winter of discontent'
- 10 Legg Power in ChemoHero fundraising