Be tickled purple for the chemo appeal
- Credit: Archant
Do your bit for The Big Purple Day and help the North Devon chemotherapy Appeal on Friday, July 12.
PURPLE pottiness is back next month with local people invited to turn every shade from amethyst to violet for the North Devon Chemotherapy Appeal.
After last year’s success, the Big Purple Day is back in all its garish glory on Friday, July 12, with the support of the North Devon Gazette.
Businesses, individuals, schools and groups are urged to wear purple, turn purple, eat purple coloured cakes or stage purple-themed events to help drive the appeal total well beyond the current £1.56 million mark.
All the money raised will go towards the campaign to build a new chemotherapy and day treatment unit at North Devon District Hospital.
You may also want to watch:
“Big Purple Day is all about having fun and doing something a little bit different to help improve cancer services for people in North Devon for generations to come,” said Julie Whitton, fundraising officer.
“At our first one last year, staff from the Northern Devon Healthcare Trust, businesses and schools all got into the spirit by taking part in purple activities, such as wearing purple clothing, selling purple cakes and displaying purple balloons.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 3 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 4 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 5 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 6 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 7 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 8 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 9 Contactless donation station for Chemohero at Affinity Devon
- 10 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
“The Big Sheep even sprayed a sheep purple!
“It was a fantastic day, and it would be great if people could get involved and let us know what purple events they are planning this year.”
So far, Marshals pub in Boutport Street, Barnstaple, has been organising purple events throughout the year, selling purple cakes and wearing purple clothes.
Customer John Cutler has organised a sponsored walk from Minehead to Clovelly as well as a Real Ale Trail along the Tarka Line.
Swimbridge Primary School pupils Louis Gubb and Summer Lakeman had their faces painted for the Appeal, while Paula Swanson, a mealtime assistant at the school is making purple cakes.
If you have an idea for a Big Purple Day event, call Julie on 01271 311772, email email@example.com or visit www.northdevonhealth.nhs.uk/fundraising.
* We’d also love to hear about any purple plans you have, so we can preview than and photographers can drop in on the day. Call the news desk on 01271 645056 or email firstname.lastname@example.org