Batman takes to the skies for Chemo Appeal
- Credit: Archant
Marks and Spencer Barnstaple dup pull on their tights to take part in the Superhero Skydive.
BATMAN and Catwoman will be donning their tights and masks before jumping out of a perfectly good aeroplane this June to help raise money for the North Devon Chemotherapy Appeal.
Barnstaple Marks and Spencer store manager Stephen Deacon and retail assistant Margaret Kendall decided to step into the boots of their costumed alter-egos after being inspired by the appeal campaign.
The dynamic duo will be joining other costumed characters to take part in the Superhero Skydive at Dunkeswell Airfield on Saturday, June 29.
The store has raised around £12,000 for the appeal over the past two years and staff are keen to support Batman and Catwoman at the event, which is being organised by Skydive UK.
You may also want to watch:
Shoppers will soon be able to see full-blown images of Stephen and Margaret in their superhero togs next to the checkouts, with details of how they can donate.
“I had never considered jumping out of an aeroplane before but was inspired by fund raiser Julie Whitton a few months ago, when I saw the provisional drawings of the new chemotherapy unit,” said Stephen.
- 1 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 2 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 North Devon architectural practice appoints new director
- 5 Fangtastic half-term Halloween fun at Yeo Valley Woodland
- 6 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 7 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 8 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch
- 9 Legg Power in ChemoHero fundraising
- 10 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
“Julie explained the appeal was close to reaching its target of £2.2million, and a final push of about £700,000 was needed to enable them to start building the unit this year.
“I was blown away by the determination of the fundraising team to make the unit a reality and felt the Superhero Skydive was something the M&S Barnstaple store should support.”
Other would be superheroes can also tale part - visit the appeal website at www.northdevonhealth.nhs.uk/fundraising and click on the superhero image or call 01271 3117722.