Barnstaple Town Council set for by-election on general election
- Credit: Archant
A councillor role in the town’s central ward has become available
Barnstaple Town Council will hold a by-election on June 8 to fill a councillor vacancy.
Mrs Annette Dawson’s role as a councillor has ended, with her unable to continue for personal reasons.
The by-election was confirmed to the council earlier this week and will be held on the same day as the general election.
Town clerk Will Austin said the increasing role town councils play in delivering services makes the role as important as ever.
You may also want to watch:
“The town council is becoming more and more involved in delivering services in Barnstaple, and the successful candidate will have a part to play in developing our heritage, cultural, environmental, civic and ceremonial services, as well as standing up for his or her local community,” he said.
“The council has raised its profile in recent years so this is a really exciting time to become a councillor.”
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
- 4 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 5 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 6 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 7 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 8 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 9 MISSING: Police search for David Kose from Ilfracombe
- 10 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
Mr Austin hoped having the byelection on the same day as the general election would provide a greater turnout of voters.
Anyone who lives or works in or near Barnstaple is eligible to stand for election. Nomination forms must be submitted to North Devon Council by 4pm on May 11.
For more information on voting or standing in the by-election, contact the elections office at North Devon Council on 01271 388277.
To find out more about the town council and the role of a town councillors, contact Will Austin on 01271 373311 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.