Barnstaple Town Council set for by-election on general election
- Credit: Archant
A councillor role in the town’s central ward has become available
Barnstaple Town Council will hold a by-election on June 8 to fill a councillor vacancy.
Mrs Annette Dawson’s role as a councillor has ended, with her unable to continue for personal reasons.
The by-election was confirmed to the council earlier this week and will be held on the same day as the general election.
Town clerk Will Austin said the increasing role town councils play in delivering services makes the role as important as ever.
You may also want to watch:
“The town council is becoming more and more involved in delivering services in Barnstaple, and the successful candidate will have a part to play in developing our heritage, cultural, environmental, civic and ceremonial services, as well as standing up for his or her local community,” he said.
“The council has raised its profile in recent years so this is a really exciting time to become a councillor.”
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 6 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 7 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 8 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 9 Huntsmen fined for digging badger sett near Chulmleigh
- 10 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
Mr Austin hoped having the byelection on the same day as the general election would provide a greater turnout of voters.
Anyone who lives or works in or near Barnstaple is eligible to stand for election. Nomination forms must be submitted to North Devon Council by 4pm on May 11.
For more information on voting or standing in the by-election, contact the elections office at North Devon Council on 01271 388277.
To find out more about the town council and the role of a town councillors, contact Will Austin on 01271 373311 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.