Barnstaple tennis tourney gets even bigger
AFTER another successful year for its AEGON Pro-Series women s tennis tournament, Team Tarka in Barnstaple have received the news that the LTA has officially confirmed the new top tier Pro-Series slot for Barnstaple. And with the prize money on offer to
AFTER another successful year for its AEGON Pro-Series women's tennis tournament, Team Tarka in Barnstaple have received the news that the LTA has officially confirmed the new top tier Pro-Series slot for Barnstaple.
And with the prize money on offer to Women's Tennis Association players now lifted to $75,000 this makes the event the equal fourth most prestigious women's tournament in the UK.
The promotion team is now continuing efforts to secure a similar men's event within the next two years.
The LTA said: "The 2009 AEGON Pro-Series event in Barnstaple was a great success, with a strong contingent of British players, including the 2009 Junior US Open winner Heather Watson and her doubles partner Laura Robson. It was excellent to see British player Anna Smith lifting the doubles trophy with her Swedish partner Johanna Larsson.
You may also want to watch:
"The extensive coverage the tournament received was testament to its success and reached out to a whole new audience across the South West of England. Next year's event is set to be bigger and better than ever, with the announcement of the uplift of the event to the $75,000 level. This will attract even higher ranked players, which can only benefit the competition and also the sport in Britain."
The AEGON Pro-Series Barnstaple for 2010 will take place at the Tarka Centre between October 4-10.
- 1 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 2 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 3 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 4 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 5 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 6 Fangtastic half-term Halloween fun at Yeo Valley Woodland
- 7 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 8 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch
- 9 Charity staff praised for support helping customers get online
- 10 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021