Barnstaple swimming pool to reopen soon
Repair work on target and within budget, say council.
LOCAL swimmers will be making a splash next month when the pool at the North Devon Leisure Centre reopens.
North Devon Council has announced that the refurbishment of the leisure centre will be finished on time and the pool will reopen on Saturday, April 28.
The swimming pool closed in October last year for a six-month refurbishment project. Repairs have been made to the roof, as well as the steel and concrete frame of the building.
The pool has been blast cleaned and repainted, whilst the wetside changing rooms have been stripped and fully refurbished.
You may also want to watch:
The council’s executive member for culture, Councillor Derrick Spear, said: “This year marks the 40th anniversary of the leisure centre, so it is fitting that we’ve breathed new life into the building.
“The refurbishment project has not been easy – with buildings of this age there are always surprises, and we’ve had quite a few.
- 1 Devon health boss 'concerned' at low Covid booster uptake
- 2 People and businesses asked to join Barnstaple clean up
- 3 Link centre consultation 'absolute nonsense' say campaigners
- 4 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 5 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 6 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 7 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 8 Good news for Combe Martin’s water quality
- 9 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 10 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
“We’ve been having frequent project meetings with the contractors, who have been working really hard to meet our deadline of April.
“I’m delighted that we are going to open on time and within budget, and I know there are lots of people looking forward to getting back in the water.”
Despite the swimming pool being closed, the council said the rest of the leisure centre had remained open and busy.
Recently, the centre became the only licensed ‘Spinning’ exercise facility in Barnstaple and sessions are already proving popular.
Parkwood Leisure’s general manager, Sandie Spratt, said: “This is an oasis of activity, many people are not fully aware of what they can do and try here.
“I would encourage people to come along and get involved in dance classes, sport, gym, martial arts and more, then finish off with a healthy slushy in our Caf� Vita.”