Barnstaple supermarket petition ‘will go to consultants’
Planning committee agrees to forward petition against more supermarkets in the town to those preparing northern Devon Retail Study.
A petition calling for no more supermarkets within a two mile radius of Barnstaple has been forwarded to retail consultants.
The Gazette reported in February how Butchers Row shopkeeper Sandie Hall handed a 945-signature petition to North Devon Council opposing any further developments.
She said further supermarkets would “seriously jeopardise the future of Barnstaple High Street”.
At a planning committee meeting on Wednesday councillors agreed to forward the petition on to the consultants for consideration as part of the preparation of the Retail Study for Northern Devon. The number of signatories was listed as 687.
You may also want to watch:
If a petitioner feels their petition has been dealt with properly by the council, they have the right of appeal to its overview and scrutiny committee.
- 1 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 2 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 3 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 4 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 5 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 6 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 7 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 8 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 9 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 10 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow