Barnstaple supermarket petition ‘will go to consultants’
Planning committee agrees to forward petition against more supermarkets in the town to those preparing northern Devon Retail Study.
A petition calling for no more supermarkets within a two mile radius of Barnstaple has been forwarded to retail consultants.
The Gazette reported in February how Butchers Row shopkeeper Sandie Hall handed a 945-signature petition to North Devon Council opposing any further developments.
She said further supermarkets would “seriously jeopardise the future of Barnstaple High Street”.
At a planning committee meeting on Wednesday councillors agreed to forward the petition on to the consultants for consideration as part of the preparation of the Retail Study for Northern Devon. The number of signatories was listed as 687.
You may also want to watch:
If a petitioner feels their petition has been dealt with properly by the council, they have the right of appeal to its overview and scrutiny committee.
- 1 Jealous Barnstaple boyfriend made divorcee get rid of wedding dress
- 2 North Devon business signs up to 1 billion tree project
- 3 The Plough announces Open-Air Theatre Festival
- 4 Holidaycottages.co.uk celebrates launch of new office in Braunton
- 5 Criminal damage at Fremington Football Club - Police appeal
- 6 Little Leo’s big challenge for Children’s Hospice South West
- 7 Bungling Northam burglar facing jail
- 8 Boris Johnson - Time between Covid jabs cut in response to Indian variant
- 9 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 10 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council