Inquest finds Barnstaple student, 18, intended to take her own life when she took an overdose.
A Petroc student took her own life by overdosing on her mother’s amitriptyline tablets, a coroner concluded.
An inquest on Wednesday heard Siani Elland Ruby Benson-Wills, of Rolle Street, Barnstaple, had suffered with depression since the age of 13.
The 18-year-old had previously been on antidepressants but was not on any prescribed medication at the time of her death on May 8, last year.
The inquest heard Siani had a history of self harm, and had tried to take her own life by taking an overdose on a previous occasion.
Her mother Tracie Benson said in her statement: “Siani was a happy-go-lucky girl until the age of 13 when she began to struggle.”
She said Siani, who was also a part time bar maid, had undertaken her first year of A Levels at Petroc, before switching to a Btec in art.
Ms Benson last saw her daughter alive on the evening of May 6 at their home.
Siani was found dead at around 1.30am on May 8 and a post-mortem recorded a fatal level of amitriptyline in her blood as the cause of death.
Coroner Dr Elizabeth Earland recorded a verdict of suicide, and said: “This was an impulsive overdose but I am satisfied Siani took her own life.”