Barnstaple store homes dogs adoption centre
A Barnstaple pet store has become the first in the country to offer a new dogs advice and adoption centre.
Support Adoption for Dogs - the charity founded by Pets At Home - has joined forces with the Dogs Trust to open the new service at the Barnstaple Pets At Home store.
From a centre in the store, the new service is showcasing dogs in need of homes from the nearby Dogs Trust Ilfracombe rehoming centre.
Dogs Trust staff based in the store are also offering advice and information on rehoming.
Support Action for Dogs has donated �26,000 towards the scheme, which was launched in Barnstaple on Friday and is to be followed by other stores in Leicester and Telford.
You may also want to watch:
Anyone wishing to rehome a rescue dog from the advice and adoption area will be asked to visit the Dogs Trust Ilfracombe centre to register their interest.
David Franklin, Dogs Trust assistant operations director, said: “Our advice and adoption area within Pets At Home will allow us to meet potential new owners, advise them on what to look for when thinking of adding a dog to the family and talk to them about the benefits of rehoming a rescue dog. People are not always aware of the responsibilities involved when considering a dog and Pets At Home has a huge customer base, so to be given the opportunity to reach that many people is just brilliant for rescue dogs.”
- 1 North Devon company fined for pollution that killed more than 9,000 fish
- 2 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 3 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 4 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 5 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 6 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 8 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 9 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 10 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
Barnstaple Pets At Home store manager David Winter said: “Pet adoption is something we are dedicated to and this partnership with Dogs Trust will allow us to raise further Awareness of the cause. Together we can work to make sure that abandoned dogs are given a second chance of happiness with new loving families.”