Barnstaple store confirms closure as another’s fate hangs in the balance
Further store closures threaten the High Street this week.
A national high street chain has confirmed it will close its Barnstaple store in the same week uncertainty hangs over the future of a second major retailer in the town.
Clothes store Evans will stop trading on Friday and its eight members of staff will either be made redundant or relocated.
Meanwhile, the future is also uncertain for video game shops Game and Gamestation following news that parent company Game is close to going into administration.
The business has been put up for sale and the company has admitted that some of its suppliers are no longer willing to do business.
The Game group, which has nearly 1,300 stores globally, currently employs 10,000 staff across 600 stores in the UK.
On Monday, a statement by the company said it remained in discussions with its suppliers and lenders.
- 1 OPINION: A new plan for Barnstaple's Oliver Buildings - Tim Jones
- 2 PICTURES: Bideford Christmas lights switched on in style
- 3 Property of the Week: Daddon Close, Bideford
- 4 Litter around North Devon schools and colleges is a 'disgrace'
- 5 Kenwith Castle care home welcomes new manager
- 6 OPINION: How much do you know about the ground beneath your feet?
- 7 North Devon’s Panto sells 10,000 Cinderella tickets
- 8 Downing Street party video: Boris Johnson apologises but denies allegations
- 9 Bideford beat top side Truro in challenging conditions
- 10 OPINION: Give back this festive season at the Wave Project Christmas markets
It said: “While these discussions are ongoing, it has not been possible to source new products from a number of suppliers.
“The Board of Game is working actively to resolve these issues as quickly as possible.
“This includes ongoing discussions with suppliers, seeking access to the original facility or alternative sources of funding, and reviewing the position of all of its assets in the UK and international territories.
“It is uncertain whether any of the solutions currently being explored by the Board will be successful or will result in any value being attributed to the shares of the Company.”