Barnstaple search after witness sees someone jump into river
- Credit: Archant
Police, fire, coastguard and helicopter in town centre this Wednesday evening as search continues after reports someone jumped in near the Taw Bridge but did not surface.
A MAJOR search is underway in Barnstaple after a report someone was seen jumping into the river this afternoon (Wednesday).
The search and rescue helicopter from RMB Chivenor, together with Coastguard and fire service teams, have been combing the area around the Taw Bridge since a passerby claimed to see someone jump from nearby just after 5.20pm.
A police spokesman said the witness, who had been near Lynton House, said they did not see the person surface again – he said at this stage they were still trying to ascertain the validity of the reports.
He said fire and coastguard teams were conducting a search of the area.
You may also want to watch:
He reminded people that despite the hot weather, to consider their own safety and think twice before going into waterways or rivers, as lives were lost in such incidents.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 7 'Monster' jailed after abuse victim tells judge of his torment
- 8 Great Big Green Week backed by North Devon Council
- 9 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
- 10 Man left with 'life changing' injuries after assault in Barnstaple