Barnstaple search after witness sees someone jump into river
- Credit: Archant
Police, fire, coastguard and helicopter in town centre this Wednesday evening as search continues after reports someone jumped in near the Taw Bridge but did not surface.
A MAJOR search is underway in Barnstaple after a report someone was seen jumping into the river this afternoon (Wednesday).
The search and rescue helicopter from RMB Chivenor, together with Coastguard and fire service teams, have been combing the area around the Taw Bridge since a passerby claimed to see someone jump from nearby just after 5.20pm.
A police spokesman said the witness, who had been near Lynton House, said they did not see the person surface again – he said at this stage they were still trying to ascertain the validity of the reports.
He said fire and coastguard teams were conducting a search of the area.
You may also want to watch:
He reminded people that despite the hot weather, to consider their own safety and think twice before going into waterways or rivers, as lives were lost in such incidents.
- 1 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 2 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 3 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 4 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 5 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
- 6 A361 Link Road closed after three vehicle crash
- 7 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 8 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 9 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 10 South Molton youngsters enjoy Land Rover Premiership Rugby Cup