Barnstaple school becomes charitable trust
New status for The Park Community School sees the start of a new and exciting chapter.
A BARNSTAPLE school is starting a new and exciting chapter after becoming a foundation school with a charitable trust.
The Park Community School has served the local community for more than 100 years and although the name will not change, it is now a foundation school with The Park Community School Co-Operative Learning Trust.
The trust will be made up of a group including the headteacher, chairman of the governing body, a representative of both Devon County Council and the Co-operative Movement plus two other school governors.
Mike Canham, chairman of governors, said: “The imperative for all schools is to secure high standards and to find new and effective routes and strategies to build and sustain improvement.
You may also want to watch:
“We decided to capitalise upon the Local Authority’s long experience and expertise by inviting it to remain with us, not now in charge, but as a partner within our new Trust.”
Headteacher David Atton said: “This is today’s generation continuing and developing further that legacy for education established all those years ago, harnessing the best of tradition whilst reinterpreting and moving it forward.
- 1 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 2 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 3 MISSING: Police search for David Kose from Ilfracombe
- 4 Street food traders revealed for South Molton Food and Drink Festival
- 5 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 6 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 7 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 8 Celebrating 15 years of North Devon charity Families in Grief
- 9 North Devon Emergency Department in top ten for patient experience
- 10 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
“By all joining together in this common endeavour we seek to set The Park Community School on the next phase of its development as a neighbourhood school fully at the heart of its community that expects and achieves the highest of standards for each individual pupil.”