Barnstaple ready for big carnival day
- Credit: Archant
Plans in place for a day of fun and fund-raising.
BARNSTAPLE is the place to be this Saturday, with colourful floats and costumed characters set to give the town a real carnival atmosphere.
The main procession sets off along the Strand from the Civic Centre at 6pm. The parade will go past the Square, and along Belle Meadow, Queen Street and Boutport Street in a circular route.
It will be followed by fireworks at 8.15pm.
Before then, there will be Irish dancing on the Strand at 2.15pm; the judging of the children’s carnival at 2.45pm; followed by the children’s carnival itself at 3.30pm.
You may also want to watch:
Majorette judging takes place outside the Heritage Centre at 4.45pm, with the crowning of carnival queen Lauren Adams at 5.30pm.
Meanwhile in the Square, there will be live music from 1pm featuring Petroc students from The Factory; Sam Mayo; and bands Loney and iFunk.
- 1 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 2 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 3 PICTURES: Women 'Walk Taller Than The Trees' at Nightwalk 2021
- 4 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 5 PICTURES: Bideford 10k is back for 2021
- 6 Torridge launches Waste and Recycling Roadshows
- 7 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
- 8 Arts Council England announces support for North Devon
- 9 Dolton remembers resident Rolling Stone Charlie Watts
- 10 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
Road closures on the Longbridge will be in place from 6-9pm.
Carnival chairman Andy Shiner said there were currently 12 floats and 12 walking entries registered but more were expected to enter before the day.