Barnstaple ready for big carnival day
- Credit: Archant
Plans in place for a day of fun and fund-raising.
BARNSTAPLE is the place to be this Saturday, with colourful floats and costumed characters set to give the town a real carnival atmosphere.
The main procession sets off along the Strand from the Civic Centre at 6pm. The parade will go past the Square, and along Belle Meadow, Queen Street and Boutport Street in a circular route.
It will be followed by fireworks at 8.15pm.
Before then, there will be Irish dancing on the Strand at 2.15pm; the judging of the children’s carnival at 2.45pm; followed by the children’s carnival itself at 3.30pm.
You may also want to watch:
Majorette judging takes place outside the Heritage Centre at 4.45pm, with the crowning of carnival queen Lauren Adams at 5.30pm.
Meanwhile in the Square, there will be live music from 1pm featuring Petroc students from The Factory; Sam Mayo; and bands Loney and iFunk.
- 1 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 2 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
- 3 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 4 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 5 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 6 South Molton youngsters enjoy Land Rover Premiership Rugby Cup
- 7 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 8 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 9 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 10 Teams needed for Appledore RNLI Boat Pull
Road closures on the Longbridge will be in place from 6-9pm.
Carnival chairman Andy Shiner said there were currently 12 floats and 12 walking entries registered but more were expected to enter before the day.