Barnstaple pubs to cut prices for a day
- Credit: Archant
Two Wetherspoon pubs will be taking part in the national Tax Parity Day.
THE two Wetherspoon pubs in Barnstaple will cut the prices of food and drink by 7.5 per cent for a day this month.
On Wednesday, September 25, The Panniers in Boutport Street and The Water Gate on The Strand will be backing national Tax Parity Day.
The day’s aim is to highlight the benefit of a VAT reduction on the hospitality industry, which is currently subject to a 20 per cent rate of VAT.
Alan Young, manager of The Panniers, said: “We are proud to support the campaign to reduce the level of VAT within the pub industry.
You may also want to watch:
“Customers coming to the pubs on Wednesday, September 25 will find the price of their food and drink is lower than normal.
“We are keen to highlight the amount customers would save if VAT in pubs was lowered.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 3 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 4 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 5 Barnstaple Pannier Market support return of Barnstaple In Bloom
- 6 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby leads World Ocean Day debate
- 7 Barnstaple Roundtable focuses on the importance of defibrillators
- 8 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 9 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 10 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
“So, for example, the total price of a meal and drinks for a customer at the pubs would be reduced from £10 to £9.25 on Tax Parity Day.”
Wetherspoon chairman Tim Martin added: “A reduction in the level of VAT on a long-term basis will generate growth and create jobs in the important leisure and hospitality sector.”