Barnstaple premises evacuated after ammonia gas leak

A premises at Queen Street in Barnstaple was evacuated on Thursday afternoon after a first floor fridge began leaking what was thought to be ammonia gas.

When two Barnstaple fire engines arrived at around 5.20pm, four fire fighters donned breathing apparatus and protective clothing before entering the building and removing the fridge, which was giving off fumes.

An environmental pack was also used to deal with the incident.


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter