Barnstaple’s mystery yarn bomber is revealed
- Credit: Archant
A mystery yarn bomber has been revealed as crochet expert Hooked by Robin.
She has been placing cute crochet animals on lampposts and street furniture on Park Lane in Barnstaple, which leads up to Park Lane Nursing Home, as revealed by the Gazette last week.
The yarn bomb trail has continued to grow and now it extends back into parts of Rock Park as well.
Robin told us last summer she had been involved in the Random Acts of Crochet Kindness Project, where small crochet flowers are left in public places for people to find and take home.
She said: “So when the Coronavirus pandemic hit, I wanted to do something similar to make people smile.
“I started with yarn bombing the hospital but felt that wasn’t enough. Park Lane Nursing Home is very local to me so I contacted them to see if it would be okay.
You may also want to watch:
“At the time, care homes being overlooked was very much in the news and I wanted to do something nice for the staff and residents so they wouldn’t feel forgotten.
“I had such lovely feedback from everyone that a yarn bomb trail has slowly emerged and it has spilt over into Rock Park itself now!
- 1 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 2 I'm Still Standing: Ambulance worker's battle against the darkness
- 3 Tributes to Ilfracombe's 30-year school governor
- 4 Barnstaple's The ilab launches iPad appeal to help lockdown home schoolers
- 5 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
- 6 'Bonkers' idea led to the creation of Children's Hospice South West
- 7 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 8 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 9 Roger McGough unveiled as Plough Poetry Prize judge
- 10 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
“I hadn’t planned on being discovered so quickly, seeing this news article was quite a surprise.”
Robin said more is planned and new ones are popping up weekly. If anyone needs one repaired or removed, please let her know via the Hooked by Robin Facebook page.
If anyone wants to learn crocheting, Robin has tutorials on her YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/c/HookedbyRobin .