Barnstaple mum is in the Olympics
Local swimming coach accepted as a volunteer at the Aquatics Centre in London.
A Barnstaple mum is thrilled after being invited to take part in the London Olympics this summer.
Swimming instructor Lisa Bousted will be working at the Aquatics Centre as a member of the Technology Team after applying to become a volunteer for the games.
She is off to Canary Wharf in London on Friday for a test event before spending the following week working at the Olympic swimming team trials – then in July it is back to the capital for the games.
A keen follower of aquatic sports in particular, Lisa applied for tickets but was disappointed when she was unsuccessful – now though, she believes she will have an even better Olympic experience:
You may also want to watch:
“I am quite excited just to be able to be there,” she said.
“Just to be able to experience it and to put that uniform on - which you get to keep afterwards – will be fantastic. Having the Olympics in this country is never going to happen again in my lifetime.
- 1 Braunton assault leaves teen with 'serious head injuries' - witness appeal
- 2 Scream mask knifeman caused terror at Barnstaple play park
- 3 Contractor appointed to repair Rock Park Bridge
- 4 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
- 5 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate
- 6 Nightwalk returns for 2021 with brand-new venue
- 7 Rotarians have great time helping Lampard School pupils
- 8 North Devon benefit fiddler must cash in pension to repay the money
- 9 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
- 10 Plans to demolish and redevelop Barnstaple Civic Centre finally submitted
“I have seen the Olympic stadiums in both Beijing and Sydney, so to go to London is really special for me – it’s about being in that place, just to experience it and to be behind the scenes, to be able to give something back to our country and to say I took part.”
The process to qualify as a volunteer was quite rigorous and Lisa will not know what her role will be until she has completed Friday’s test event.
The technology team covers a number of roles for the Olympic and Paralympic Games, from delivering event results to operating different technology at the venue, admin and even conducting tours.
“The memories are going to be fabulous,” said Lisa.
“All my customers have been so supportive and are really happy for me.”