Barnstaple multistorey car park to be demolished
The ageing Queen Street multistorey is to be reduced to rubble next month and temporary parking put in its place.
THE Queen Street multi-storey car park in Barnstaple is to be demolished next month.
The car park will close on Monday and work will begin mid-February as part of the first phase of North Devon Council’s plan to redevelop the Queen and Bear Street areas.
Demolishing the decaying structure has been on the agenda for both the current and previous council administrations, after it was discovered sections of concrete were coming away from the building, with the metal beams and ties underneath beginning to deteriorate.
The council has said demolition and clearance of the site by Lawson Demolition Ltd is expected to take 12 weeks.
You may also want to watch:
Then another six weeks of work will see the existing ground floor space used to create a temporary split-level car park and the new-look car park is expected to be open by July.
“These works will give the car park more light and greatly improve the look of the area,” said Executive Member for Economic Regeneration Councillor Malcolm Prowse.
- 1 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 2 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 3 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 4 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 5 People in North Devon urged to take up the vaccine to help protect others
- 6 5-year-old Emily signs up to Appledore RNLI Mayday Mile Event
- 7 MP nominates North Devon champions for Levelling Up Awards
- 8 Alison Hernandez vows to get tough on crime as she retains PCC role
- 9 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 10 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
“The split-level car park is just a temporary solution – stage three of this phased project, the wider regeneration of the Bear Street and Queen Street area, will come soon after.”
Mr Prowse said at Wednesday’s full council meeting it was one of the most important first steps to have happened in Barnstaple for a long time in terms of the regeneration of Queen Street and Bear Street.
The council said neighbouring properties would be kept informed at all stages of the works and car park users signposted alternatives nearby.
The council is also planning to provide 60 additional spaces at the long-stay car park at Seven Brethren. Work on this is also due to start next month.