Barnstaple motorists urged to leave cars at home
Town to host ‘car free’ day to help promote sustainable travel
MOTORISTS are being urged to leave their vehicles at home during a “car free” day in Barnstaple later this month.
Westcountry Cycle Training, in partnership with Devon County Council, is organising various activities in and around the town to encourage people to cycle instead on Thursday, September 22.
At 7am guided group rides will be departing from Bideford Station and from Braunton Police Station, both heading for The Square in Barnstaple via the Tarka Trail.
Cyclists will be able to enjoy a free breakfast and drink on arrival at the Square between 6.45 and 8.45am.
You may also want to watch:
Companies and schools are invited to sign up for various guided “cycling commuter trains” heading to various destinations in town.
A number of other guided rides are also taking place throughout that day. A leisure cycle along the Tarka Trail from Barnstaple to Fremington Quay starts at 11am at the Barnstaple Park and Ride Car Park, where it will also finish around 1.30pm.
- 1 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 2 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 3 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 4 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 5 North Devon seconds look to bounce back from heavy defeat
- 6 Pensioner gets suspended sentence for 'unspeakable abuse images'
- 7 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge
- 8 Shocked Barnstaple burglary victim watched raid on phone
- 9 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 10 New Barnstaple restaurant offers Fine Dining at Home
So-called “rusty cyclists” are being invited to join an Adult Bikeability training session to regain confidence in cycling. Sessions, from 2-3.30pm and 4-5.30pm, are being lead by experienced National Standard Bikeability instructors at the Barnstaple Park and Ride.
All activities are free to attend, but people need to bring their own bike.
Community bikes are available for the Tarka Trail Leisure ride and the Bikeability Training Sessions for those who don’t own bikes.
Bikes can be booked in advance by emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org or calling Dawn Connor on 07982 431809.