Barnstaple Mayor goes up in the world
Cllr Roome and his charities are given a lift at traditional Christmas market
BARNSTAPLE Pannier Market gave shoppers – and ITV Westcountry viewers – a glimpse of Christmas past last night (Thursday).
Festivities from the town’s traditional Victorian fair, part of Barnstaple’s late night shopping entertainment schedule, were beamed live on the nightly regional news programme.
Organisers did their best to distract weathergirl Kate Reeves with some artificial snow while town council carol singers, and traditionally dressed stall holders helped to create a cosy market atmosphere.
Proceeds from the event will help boost charities being championed by the Barnstaple Mayor Ian Roome and the Mayor was given a lift himself courtesy of a couple of Victorian strongmen.
You may also want to watch:
“It was a fantastic Christmas event and the public spirit was excellent,” said Cllr Roome.
- 1 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 2 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 3 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 4 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 5 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 6 Dog Restrictions come into force on Westward Ho! Beach
- 7 North Devon seconds look to bounce back from heavy defeat
- 8 Bideford paramedic compensated after winning victimisation claim
- 9 Shocked Barnstaple burglary victim watched raid on phone
- 10 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge