Barnstaple Mayor goes up in the world
Cllr Roome and his charities are given a lift at traditional Christmas market
BARNSTAPLE Pannier Market gave shoppers – and ITV Westcountry viewers – a glimpse of Christmas past last night (Thursday).
Festivities from the town’s traditional Victorian fair, part of Barnstaple’s late night shopping entertainment schedule, were beamed live on the nightly regional news programme.
Organisers did their best to distract weathergirl Kate Reeves with some artificial snow while town council carol singers, and traditionally dressed stall holders helped to create a cosy market atmosphere.
Proceeds from the event will help boost charities being championed by the Barnstaple Mayor Ian Roome and the Mayor was given a lift himself courtesy of a couple of Victorian strongmen.
You may also want to watch:
“It was a fantastic Christmas event and the public spirit was excellent,” said Cllr Roome.
- 1 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 2 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 3 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 4 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 5 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 6 'Spot The Oddity' in Bideford for your chance to win £100
- 7 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 8 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 9 Braunton Caen Rotary welcomes their youngest ever club president
- 10 A361: Crash involving car and lorry blocks Link Road near South Molton