Barnstaple man completes 48 mile charity skate
- Credit: Archant
The seven-and-a-half hour skate was a ‘warm up’ to Land’s End to John O’Groats fundraisng skate next year.
A BARNSTAPLE teaching assistant who will be skating from Land’s End to John O’Groats next year is half way towards his £10,000 fundraising target.
Andy Norman has just completed a 48 mile ‘warm up’ skate in the build up to the big event next year, skating from Exeter to Barnstaple.
In July, Andy officially launched his KickPush 2014 campaign and has so far raised £5,000 for Asthma Uk and The A Skate Foundation.
Andy, along with Steve Beardsley on support bike, began the skate through the Devon countryside at Exeter’s Fat Face store at 10.30am.
Andy said: “For those of you familiar with the area you will know that it’s not the flattest part of the world and that mixed up with the slippery road surfaces from the rain meant it was always going to be a tough run.
“The indifferent road surfaces at times made the going tough, and along with a few flooded areas progress was slow, but Barnstaple Fat Face store was reached at 5.55pm.”
You may also want to watch:
His appeal has been helped by the Fat Face Foundation, and he is now planning a 24 hour ultra skate and a Bristol to Barnstaple, or south coast skate.
The events are all building up to the big skate which Andy estimates will take him three-to-four weeks in August 2014.
- 1 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 2 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 3 Torridge launches Waste and Recycling Roadshows
- 4 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 5 PICTURES: Women 'Walk Taller Than The Trees' at Nightwalk 2021
- 6 PICTURES: Bideford 10k is back for 2021
- 7 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
- 8 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 9 Arts Council England announces support for North Devon
- 10 Dolton remembers resident Rolling Stone Charlie Watts
To follow Andy’s campaign, find Kickpush 2014 on Facebook, follow @kickpush2014 on Twitter, or visit www.kickpush2014.com.