Barnstaple man completes 48 mile charity skate
- Credit: Archant
The seven-and-a-half hour skate was a ‘warm up’ to Land’s End to John O’Groats fundraisng skate next year.
A BARNSTAPLE teaching assistant who will be skating from Land’s End to John O’Groats next year is half way towards his £10,000 fundraising target.
Andy Norman has just completed a 48 mile ‘warm up’ skate in the build up to the big event next year, skating from Exeter to Barnstaple.
In July, Andy officially launched his KickPush 2014 campaign and has so far raised £5,000 for Asthma Uk and The A Skate Foundation.
Andy, along with Steve Beardsley on support bike, began the skate through the Devon countryside at Exeter’s Fat Face store at 10.30am.
Andy said: “For those of you familiar with the area you will know that it’s not the flattest part of the world and that mixed up with the slippery road surfaces from the rain meant it was always going to be a tough run.
“The indifferent road surfaces at times made the going tough, and along with a few flooded areas progress was slow, but Barnstaple Fat Face store was reached at 5.55pm.”
You may also want to watch:
His appeal has been helped by the Fat Face Foundation, and he is now planning a 24 hour ultra skate and a Bristol to Barnstaple, or south coast skate.
The events are all building up to the big skate which Andy estimates will take him three-to-four weeks in August 2014.
- 1 Contractor appointed to repair Rock Park Bridge
- 2 Braunton assault leaves teen with 'serious head injuries' - witness appeal
- 3 Scream mask knifeman caused terror at Barnstaple play park
- 4 Nightwalk returns for 2021 with brand-new venue
- 5 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate
- 6 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
- 7 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
- 8 Rotarians have great time helping Lampard School pupils
- 9 North Devon benefit fiddler must cash in pension to repay the money
- 10 Man dies in crash involving bicycle and car in Bideford
To follow Andy’s campaign, find Kickpush 2014 on Facebook, follow @kickpush2014 on Twitter, or visit www.kickpush2014.com.