Barnstaple library sets reading challenge for youngsters
THE world of children s fantasy literature is the subject of this year s Summer Reading Challenge, and Barnstaple Library will be launching the occasion with a roar. A special dragon, created in willow by artists Michael and Wendy Dacre, will be at the li
THE world of children's fantasy literature is the subject of this year's Summer Reading Challenge, and Barnstaple Library will be launching the occasion with a roar.
A special dragon, created in willow by artists Michael and Wendy Dacre, will be at the library on Saturday to launch 'Quest Seekers'.
Youngsters will be invited to drop in between 11am and 3pm to help decorate the dragon and find out more about the reading adventure.
Devon County Council libraries actively support the challenge every year, encouraging children to read six books over the six weeks of the holidays and collect their certificate and prizes.
Councillor Stuart Barker, Devon County Council's Cabinet Member for Adult and Community Services, said: "This year's Summer Reading Challenge theme, 'The Quest Seekers', is all about the power of imagination.
"Devon County Council libraries are supporting it as an excellent way to help young people discover the joy of reading and nurture a life-long love affair with books. It also promotes the library as a place of wonder and excitement, where librarians can offer children invaluable advice and guidance to help them through their quest.
- 1 North Devon holiday home tax dodgers face crackdown
- 2 Urgent appeal goes out to help keep teenagers off the streets
- 3 War hero, SWW champion and author Tony dies at 97
- 4 Popular character Joan dies at 92
- 5 Exercise the 'chuckle muscle' with comedian Jason Manford
- 6 How can we celebrate Queen's Platinum?
- 7 Chance at last to sing along with the Winkleigh Singers
- 8 Tennis ace Eric follows in Max's fund-raising footsteps
- 9 MP Selaine Saxby: Violence against women and girls
- 10 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
"It is completely free to take part and over the years we have seen how it gets children into libraries, giving them the confidence they need to choose their own books and take their reading to the next stage. For many children, the Summer Reading Challenge is just the incentive they need."
Every year, thousands of families all over the country are involved in the UK's biggest reading event for children in libraries. Organised by The Reading Agency, the challenge has become a regular highlight in the library calendar.
For further information, contact Barnstaple Library on (01271) 388589, or check on www.devon.gov.uk/libraries/thezone