Barnstaple library sets reading challenge for youngsters
THE world of children s fantasy literature is the subject of this year s Summer Reading Challenge, and Barnstaple Library will be launching the occasion with a roar. A special dragon, created in willow by artists Michael and Wendy Dacre, will be at the li
THE world of children's fantasy literature is the subject of this year's Summer Reading Challenge, and Barnstaple Library will be launching the occasion with a roar.
A special dragon, created in willow by artists Michael and Wendy Dacre, will be at the library on Saturday to launch 'Quest Seekers'.
Youngsters will be invited to drop in between 11am and 3pm to help decorate the dragon and find out more about the reading adventure.
Devon County Council libraries actively support the challenge every year, encouraging children to read six books over the six weeks of the holidays and collect their certificate and prizes.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Stuart Barker, Devon County Council's Cabinet Member for Adult and Community Services, said: "This year's Summer Reading Challenge theme, 'The Quest Seekers', is all about the power of imagination.
"Devon County Council libraries are supporting it as an excellent way to help young people discover the joy of reading and nurture a life-long love affair with books. It also promotes the library as a place of wonder and excitement, where librarians can offer children invaluable advice and guidance to help them through their quest.
- 1 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 2 Appeal launched to raise £100,000 for new play equipment in Bideford
- 3 More than 530 nights in a tent - Max Woosey wins Young Hero Award
- 4 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 5 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 6 North Devon's Amy Riley takes her motorsports dream to next level
- 7 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 8 7 top tips to help you find the perfect wedding venue
- 9 North Devon taxi company appeals for help with driver shortage
- 10 Mission: Unbreakable back with a bang for 2021
"It is completely free to take part and over the years we have seen how it gets children into libraries, giving them the confidence they need to choose their own books and take their reading to the next stage. For many children, the Summer Reading Challenge is just the incentive they need."
Every year, thousands of families all over the country are involved in the UK's biggest reading event for children in libraries. Organised by The Reading Agency, the challenge has become a regular highlight in the library calendar.
For further information, contact Barnstaple Library on (01271) 388589, or check on www.devon.gov.uk/libraries/thezone