Barnstaple leisure centre work on track
North Devon Leisure Centre pools still set to reopen in April.
WORK to refurbish the swimming pool area at North Devon Leisure Centre in Barnstaple is going well and expected to be finished on time, North Devon Council has said.
The pools are still on track to reopen in April after the council, which owns the building, contracted Midas Construction in October for a six month project to make urgent repairs to the building.
The work includes cleaning and repainting the pool tank interiors, redesigning and tiling the wet side changing area and a new pool side health suite.
It became necessary after survey of the 40-year-old building showed improvements were needed to ensure it was safe.
You may also want to watch:
So far, the poolside and changing rooms have been stripped out and the pool ceiling removed to allow repairs to the roof steelwork to begin, with a forest of scaffolding springing up across the pool area.
Work has also begun to strengthen and repair 120 steel columns that support the pool.
- 1 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 2 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 3 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 4 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 5 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 6 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 7 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 8 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 9 Affinity Devon seeks next Charity of the Year
- 10 People and businesses asked to join Barnstaple clean up
Executive Member for Culture, Councillor Derrick Spear said he had been attending frequent progress meetings and as expected with a building of that age, there had been daily challenges and unforeseen problems.
“Unless a major issue arises, I’m confident the project will be complete on time,” he said.
“Although most of the work is behind the scenes, to strengthen the structure and support the pool, the pools and wetside changing area will be much improved and we hope users will be pleased with the result.”
The rest of the centre is still open, with all other facilities available. There is an alternative council owned pool at Ilfracombe. For more details, contact Parkwood Leisure on (01271) 373361.
For updates and pictures of the refurbishment, follow the council’s blog at www.northdevon.gov.uk/sports.