Barnstaple gig race date
THE annual pilot gig race between the new bridges in Barnstaple and Bideford will take place on Sunday, September 12. Organisers say tide times and heights in the Taw and Torridge estuary should allow for both men s and women s races, as well as a junior
THE annual pilot gig race between the new bridges in Barnstaple and Bideford will take place on Sunday, September 12.
Organisers say tide times and heights in the Taw and Torridge estuary should allow for both men's and women's races, as well as a junior race to Crow Point.
"We have calculated that with a 9am start we will have enough water to run the race beneath the bridges at Bideford and Barnstaple and still be able to run a women's race back from Barnstaple," said Len White from the Appledore Pilot Gig club.
"With luck we should also be able to get a race in for juniors from Appledore to Crow and back."
You may also want to watch:
The race, originally started by the Barnstaple Link Rotary Club to celebrate the opening of the Taw downstream bridge at Barnstaple, is now a major event in the gig calendar and attracts crews from as far afield as Bristol.
- 1 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 2 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 3 Date set for reopening of Bideford Pannier Market
- 4 Rapid coronavirus tests now available across Devon
- 5 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
- 6 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 7 Mystery over Barnstaple builder's death
- 8 Date set for Barnstaple Pannier Market reopening
- 9 Westward Ho! housing plan for 138 new homes approved
- 10 Prom schoolgirl killed as she crossed road near Trimstone