Barnstaple gig race date
THE annual pilot gig race between the new bridges in Barnstaple and Bideford will take place on Sunday, September 12. Organisers say tide times and heights in the Taw and Torridge estuary should allow for both men s and women s races, as well as a junior
THE annual pilot gig race between the new bridges in Barnstaple and Bideford will take place on Sunday, September 12.
Organisers say tide times and heights in the Taw and Torridge estuary should allow for both men's and women's races, as well as a junior race to Crow Point.
"We have calculated that with a 9am start we will have enough water to run the race beneath the bridges at Bideford and Barnstaple and still be able to run a women's race back from Barnstaple," said Len White from the Appledore Pilot Gig club.
"With luck we should also be able to get a race in for juniors from Appledore to Crow and back."
You may also want to watch:
The race, originally started by the Barnstaple Link Rotary Club to celebrate the opening of the Taw downstream bridge at Barnstaple, is now a major event in the gig calendar and attracts crews from as far afield as Bristol.
- 1 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 2 Tributes to Ilfracombe's 30-year school governor
- 3 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
- 4 I'm Still Standing: Ambulance worker's battle against the darkness
- 5 Barnstaple's The ilab launches iPad appeal to help lockdown home schoolers
- 6 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 7 Roger McGough unveiled as Plough Poetry Prize judge
- 8 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 9 Terrified shoppers fled Devon city centre attack
- 10 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans