Barnstaple gig race date
THE annual pilot gig race between the new bridges in Barnstaple and Bideford will take place on Sunday, September 12. Organisers say tide times and heights in the Taw and Torridge estuary should allow for both men s and women s races, as well as a junior
THE annual pilot gig race between the new bridges in Barnstaple and Bideford will take place on Sunday, September 12.
Organisers say tide times and heights in the Taw and Torridge estuary should allow for both men's and women's races, as well as a junior race to Crow Point.
"We have calculated that with a 9am start we will have enough water to run the race beneath the bridges at Bideford and Barnstaple and still be able to run a women's race back from Barnstaple," said Len White from the Appledore Pilot Gig club.
"With luck we should also be able to get a race in for juniors from Appledore to Crow and back."
You may also want to watch:
The race, originally started by the Barnstaple Link Rotary Club to celebrate the opening of the Taw downstream bridge at Barnstaple, is now a major event in the gig calendar and attracts crews from as far afield as Bristol.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 3 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 4 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 5 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 6 Contactless donation station for Chemohero at Affinity Devon
- 7 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 8 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 9 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 10 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail