Barnstaple fund raiser off to the palace
BARNSTAPLE fund raiser extraordinaire Joan Walton has been invited to a garden party at Buckingham Palace in recognition of her charity work. Joan, 77, has been a feature of Barnstaple Pannier Market for the past 27 years, running her own charity stall si
BARNSTAPLE fund raiser extraordinaire Joan Walton has been invited to a garden party at Buckingham Palace in recognition of her charity work.
Joan, 77, has been a feature of Barnstaple Pannier Market for the past 27 years, running her own charity stall single handed and dressed in eyecatching themed outfits.
She also throws open her garden for people to visit and sells plants and hanging baskets and displays her collection of dolls' houses, mostly bought from charity shops before being transformed with her own decoration and furnishing.
During this time she has raised thousands of pounds, for her favourite charities Cats Protection and Devon Air Ambulance and also for other major charities such as the North Devon Hospice, CLIC Sargent, Children's Hospice South west, Oxfam and the British Heart Foundation.
You may also want to watch:
She has worked for Cats Protection for 47 years, previously in Hatherleigh and Plymouth.
Joan will go to Buckingham Palace on July 20.
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 6 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 7 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 8 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 9 Huntsmen fined for digging badger sett near Chulmleigh
- 10 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe