Barnstaple fund raiser off to the palace
BARNSTAPLE fund raiser extraordinaire Joan Walton has been invited to a garden party at Buckingham Palace in recognition of her charity work. Joan, 77, has been a feature of Barnstaple Pannier Market for the past 27 years, running her own charity stall si
BARNSTAPLE fund raiser extraordinaire Joan Walton has been invited to a garden party at Buckingham Palace in recognition of her charity work.
Joan, 77, has been a feature of Barnstaple Pannier Market for the past 27 years, running her own charity stall single handed and dressed in eyecatching themed outfits.
She also throws open her garden for people to visit and sells plants and hanging baskets and displays her collection of dolls' houses, mostly bought from charity shops before being transformed with her own decoration and furnishing.
During this time she has raised thousands of pounds, for her favourite charities Cats Protection and Devon Air Ambulance and also for other major charities such as the North Devon Hospice, CLIC Sargent, Children's Hospice South west, Oxfam and the British Heart Foundation.
You may also want to watch:
She has worked for Cats Protection for 47 years, previously in Hatherleigh and Plymouth.
Joan will go to Buckingham Palace on July 20.
- 1 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 2 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 5 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 6 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 7 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 8 Fangtastic half-term Halloween fun at Yeo Valley Woodland
- 9 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 10 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch