Barnstaple flag raising for Armed Forces Day
- Credit: Archant
Special flag raising ceremony will take place at the Civic Centre tomorrow (Monday).
NORTH Devon Council will be paying its respects to the armed forces at a special flag raising ceremony tomorrow (Monday).
At 11am the Armed Forces Day flag will be raised at the civic centre to mark the event that aims to raise awareness of the armed forces of past and present and the contribution they have made to our country.
Council officers, councillors, the mayor of Barnstaple and representatives from the Barnstaple branch of the British Legion have been invited to attend the short ceremony organised by North Devon Council Chairman, Councillor Geoff Fowler.
“It’s a real honour for me to raise the flag at the civic centre this year for the first time as chairman on behalf of the council,” he said.
“It is important the council and surrounding communities pay our respects to the servicemen and women who have served and are serving this country. It’s a way of showing our appreciation for the work they do.”
The flag-raising will mark the start of a nation-wide week of events leading to Armed Forces Day, which this year is on Saturday (June 29).
- 1 Two vehicle crash blocks Link Road near Barnstaple
- 2 Go ahead for 211 homes but Bideford plans fall short on affordable homes
- 3 South Molton's top 10 rating for pannier market
- 4 Covid outbreaks in Devon’s care homes at highest level since pandemic began
- 5 Remembering much-loved and once-heaving Ilfracombe train station
- 6 North Devon holiday home tax dodgers face crackdown
- 7 Holiday firm's New Year gift for hospice
- 8 How your legacy can make a difference to our future
- 9 2021 was breakthrough year for Cancer and Wellbeing Fern Centre
- 10 Prize photography competition open for entries
To find out what other events are planned around the UK, or for help and advice on holding your own event, visit www.armedforcesday.org.uk