Barnstaple flag raising for Armed Forces Day
- Credit: Archant
Special flag raising ceremony will take place at the Civic Centre tomorrow (Monday).
NORTH Devon Council will be paying its respects to the armed forces at a special flag raising ceremony tomorrow (Monday).
At 11am the Armed Forces Day flag will be raised at the civic centre to mark the event that aims to raise awareness of the armed forces of past and present and the contribution they have made to our country.
Council officers, councillors, the mayor of Barnstaple and representatives from the Barnstaple branch of the British Legion have been invited to attend the short ceremony organised by North Devon Council Chairman, Councillor Geoff Fowler.
“It’s a real honour for me to raise the flag at the civic centre this year for the first time as chairman on behalf of the council,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“It is important the council and surrounding communities pay our respects to the servicemen and women who have served and are serving this country. It’s a way of showing our appreciation for the work they do.”
The flag-raising will mark the start of a nation-wide week of events leading to Armed Forces Day, which this year is on Saturday (June 29).
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 7 'Monster' jailed after abuse victim tells judge of his torment
- 8 Great Big Green Week backed by North Devon Council
- 9 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
- 10 Man left with 'life changing' injuries after assault in Barnstaple
To find out what other events are planned around the UK, or for help and advice on holding your own event, visit www.armedforcesday.org.uk