Barnstaple flag raising for Armed Forces Day
- Credit: Archant
Special flag raising ceremony will take place at the Civic Centre tomorrow (Monday).
NORTH Devon Council will be paying its respects to the armed forces at a special flag raising ceremony tomorrow (Monday).
At 11am the Armed Forces Day flag will be raised at the civic centre to mark the event that aims to raise awareness of the armed forces of past and present and the contribution they have made to our country.
Council officers, councillors, the mayor of Barnstaple and representatives from the Barnstaple branch of the British Legion have been invited to attend the short ceremony organised by North Devon Council Chairman, Councillor Geoff Fowler.
“It’s a real honour for me to raise the flag at the civic centre this year for the first time as chairman on behalf of the council,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“It is important the council and surrounding communities pay our respects to the servicemen and women who have served and are serving this country. It’s a way of showing our appreciation for the work they do.”
The flag-raising will mark the start of a nation-wide week of events leading to Armed Forces Day, which this year is on Saturday (June 29).
- 1 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 2 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 3 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 4 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 5 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 6 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 7 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 8 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 9 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 10 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
To find out what other events are planned around the UK, or for help and advice on holding your own event, visit www.armedforcesday.org.uk