Barnstaple firm provides home comforts for the troops
A BARNSTAPLE business is helping to provide home comforts to local troops overseas by giving 500 thermal mugs to the Royal Marines, based at Chivenor. The Marines dropped in to the Barnstaple trade counter of Screwfix, on Pottington Business Park, to take
A BARNSTAPLE business is helping to provide home comforts to local troops overseas by giving 500 thermal mugs to the Royal Marines, based at Chivenor.
The Marines dropped in to the Barnstaple trade counter of Screwfix, on Pottington Business Park, to take the mugs back to base, where they will be distributed to troops serving in Afghanistan.
The idea to donate the mugs came from Screwfix employee Rob McConnell. The former soldier was out walking the dog and spotted the marines in training.
He said: "I spotted one of the marines enjoying a hot cuppa in his thermal mug after an intensive training session on a very cold morning. I know from my time overseas that nothing lifts morale among the troops like a cup of tea, so we arranged for a truck load of our thermal mugs to be sent into Barnstaple for local soldiers."
You may also want to watch:
Chivenor Base Administration Officer, Simon Lockley said: "Rob's right, even our most hardy soldiers really value the simple pleasures in life. The nature of the job means they often have to work in particularly gruelling conditions and at the end of the day nothing hits the spot like a nice brew. We're all extremely grateful to Rob and the guys at Screwfix for their thoughtful donation.
- 1 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 2 Barnstaple man cleared of drug dealing charges
- 3 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 4 Barnstaple man attacked his wife and neighbour after Christmas drink
- 5 'Bonkers' idea led to the creation of Children's Hospice South West
- 6 Covid delays Barnstaple councillor's trial again
- 7 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
- 8 I'm Still Standing: Ambulance worker's battle against the darkness
- 9 Barnstaple's The ilab launches iPad appeal to help lockdown home schoolers
- 10 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling