Barnstaple factory will close in May
- Credit: Archant
Heathcoat Fabrics confirms business will relocate to Tiverton later this year.
BARNSTAPLE factory Heathcoat Fabrics has announced today (Mon) it will close on May 31.
Earlier this month the 35 employees of the factory, formerly known as Small & Tidmas, were told trading conditions looked ‘bleak’ and the factory could be relocating to Tiverton.
In a statement released today, managing director Cameron Harvie confirmed the factory would be relocating to Tiverton and closing the Barnstaple site.
But as part of the relocation, Mr Harvie said a number of new positions would be created at the East Devon site and would be open to Barnstaple employees.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “The decision to close the Barnstaple site has been taken only after every effort had been made to bring the Barnstaple business back into profit.
“However ongoing weakness in the UK and European markets has left the business with insufficient volume to continue and we have exhausted all other courses of action prior to making the decision to close the site.
- 1 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 2 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 3 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 4 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 5 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 6 Appeal launched to raise £100,000 for new play equipment in Bideford
- 7 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 8 7 top tips to help you find the perfect wedding venue
- 9 North Devon's Amy Riley takes her motorsports dream to next level
- 10 Equestrian star celebrates with sporting royalty
“We would like to thank all our staff in Barnstaple for their continued hard work in supporting the business and it is with regret that we have taken this difficult decision.”
It is not yet known how many new positions will be created as part of the relocation.