Barnstaple double murder update: Man arrested
POLICE have arrested 40-year-old Neil Langmead on suspicion of the murders of Barnstaple women Deborah Jones and Donna St John. He remains at North Devon District Hospital under police guard and detectives say they will interview him as soon as doctors ad
POLICE have arrested 40-year-old Neil Langmead on suspicion of the murders of Barnstaple women Deborah Jones and Donna St John.
He remains at North Devon District Hospital under police guard and detectives say they will interview him as soon as doctors advise that he is well enough.
The bodies of 35-year-old friends Deborah and Donna were discovered following a house fire at Fort Mead Close in Barnstaple at 9am Sunday, August 22.
They were last seen out in the town on the previous Saturday night and returned to Debbie's rented home at between 2-3am on the Sunday morning, accompanied by a man.
You may also want to watch:
Extra police officers were out in the town centre on Saturday seeking potential witnesses to the final movements of the pair, particularly from evening revellers.
"I am very pleased with the assistance and information we have had from the local community in relation to this tragic incident, and to the additional response following the deployment of local officers in and around the Town centre on Saturday night," said Senior Investigating Officer, Detective Inspector Mike West.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 2 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 3 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 4 Chivenor marines among UK troops hit by Norway Covid outbreak
- 5 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 6 Work begins on Northam Burrows Visitor Centre refurbishment
- 7 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 8 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 9 Football league teams up with Northern Devon Foodbank
- 10 Masked burglars make Bideford garage cigarette smash and grab
Tributes continue to pour in on Facebook for the two Barnstaple mums. Police said they continued to work with the families of both Deborah and Donna and provide support from dedicated family liaison officers.