Barnstaple dinner lady bows out after 42 years in the kitchen
- Credit: Archant
Veronica says fond farewell after four decades at Park Community School canteen.
A BARNSTAPLE school dinner lady has hung up her apron after 42 years.
Veronica Ford served her last meal at the Park Community School canteen on Friday, ending a service that began just over four decades ago.
When Veronica started her first day in the kitchen on June 5, 1972, T Rex and Slade were riding high in the charts and a school dinner cost around 10p.
Saying goodbye, she told colleagues that she had enjoyed working at the school and would miss them all. She said she would now devote her time to her family, her allotment, walking the dog and enjoying life with her friends.
You may also want to watch:
Head teacher David Atton said: “Few people work for 42 years in a school and we shall miss Veronica’s happy smile and friendly approach with her colleagues, the children and their teachers.
“She deserves a long and happy retirement after her long service and she leaves with our thanks and the very best wishes of us all.”
- 1 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 6 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 7 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 8 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 9 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 10 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe