Barnstaple cycle network completed
COMPLETION of the final phase of the Barnstaple cycle lane network by Devon County Council has improved safety for students who cycle to Pilton Community College. The �70,000 stage creates a direct access from the school to the cycle paths on the Downstre
COMPLETION of the final phase of the Barnstaple cycle lane network by Devon County Council has improved safety for students who cycle to Pilton Community College.
The �70,000 stage creates a direct access from the school to the cycle paths on the Downstream Bridge and Western Bypass.
To celebrate its opening, Pilton Community College will hold a bikers' breakfast on Monday for students who cycle in on the day.
The path, which has been part-funded through the school travel plan, provides a traffic-free route for students cycling to school from Sticklepath and Yelland.
You may also want to watch:
Brian Greenslade, County Councillor for Barnstaple North, said: "People are continually asking me when this cycleway will open and I am glad we can now say yes, it's complete. We have worked hard to try and make it as sensitive to local residents as we can, while at the same time providing them and the schools with an alternative mode of transport to the car. Given the great deal of cycling and walking that takes place in and around Barnstaple this will be a welcome addition to the network."
College head teacher Mark Juby added: "As a school we are delighted with the completion of the cycle path. It will make access to the school site so much safer from pupils who come across the new bridge. Hopefully it will encourage even more of our pupils to come by bike and avoid some of the congestion around the college - cycling has to be one of the healthiest ways of getting to school."
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 3 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 4 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 5 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 6 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 7 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 8 North Devon Emergency Department in top ten for patient experience
- 9 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
- 10 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
A safer access on to Abbey Road opened at the beginning of the year as part of an earlier phase of the cycle network. Now the entire link has been completed cyclists and pedestrians from the Pilton area of Barnstaple will be able to access the Tarka Trail, Pottington Industrial Park and other parts of the town.