Barnstaple clock back in North Devon
1805 grandfather clock originally made in the town
THE owners of Trimstone Manor Country House Hotel were amazed to find a rare Barnstaple-made grandfather clock for sale on EBay.
Philip and Helen Milton wasted no time in snapping up the 1805 time piece and it is now proudly displayed in the hall at Trimstone Manor.
Following a random enquiry on the internet auction site, Philip and Helen travelled down to Paul Janes of Rees Antiques in Ivybridge, to collect the clock, which had previously been in a Sidmouth property for some time.
Barnstaple born Philip is often on the lookout for pieces of local history and said he was thrilled to acquire the clock, which has the name “Barnstaple” and beautiful hand-painted images on the clock face.
You may also want to watch:
“I hadn’t seen one before and no one else had bid on it so I placed one and was successful,” he said.
He said he believed it was made by a Barnstaple clock maker called Perryman and a clock specialist told them it was dated 1805.
- 1 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 2 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 3 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 4 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 5 North Devon seconds look to bounce back from heavy defeat
- 6 Pensioner gets suspended sentence for 'unspeakable abuse images'
- 7 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge
- 8 Shocked Barnstaple burglary victim watched raid on phone
- 9 New Barnstaple restaurant offers Fine Dining at Home
- 10 Big opening-day wins for Bideford and Braunton
“It is a delightful clock ,” he added “curiously, my step-father Douglas Reed, who is very interested in clocks and watches, had seen an example before – in a museum in Perth, Western Australia of all places.”
Philip and Helen are happy for anyone to visit Trimstone Manor and see the clock or in time, any of the additional local art which they have been keen to try to locate to decorate the hotel and Tyme Restaurant as well.