Barnstaple’s ‘class of ‘69’ is taking sponsored walk for Cancer Research
- Credit: Archant
Old Barnstaple school pals are setting off on a sponsored walk this Saturday, October 19 to raise money for Cancer Research UK after the loss of two of their own.
The 'class of 1969' who attended Barnstaple Boys Secondary Modern aka Blacksell's Academy held a reunion at Barnstaple Rugby Club in the summer.
But shortly after they lost two to cancer: Kenny Staniforth - the father of Lisa Mackenzie from The Voice - and Gill Barthram, wife of old classmate John Barthram.
Now on Saturday they will walk from the rugby club at around 11.30am, making their way along the Tarka Trail to Braunton and back.
Organiser Tony Brown said they expected around 15 to take part on the day and were hoping to raise at least £2,000 for the charity.
You may also want to watch:
Their summer reunion after 50 years had been a great success, with people travelling from around the South West to attend.
Tony said: "The fact it was such a good night, I thought that it would be nice to get together again and do something that's going to help the charity."
If you would like to make a donation, go to the Class of 69 10 Mile Charity Walk Facebook page.
- 1 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 2 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
- 3 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 4 Northam Murder: Judge tells jury to put aside emotion
- 5 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 6 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 7 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 8 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 9 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI
- 10 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses