Barnstaple Children’s Remembrance on Armistice Day
All of the town’s schools will gather at the war memorial in Rock Park on Friday, November 11.
THE annual Children’s Remembrance Service will take place at Rock Park in Barnstaple on Armistice Day of Friday, November 11.
Now in its ninth year, the popular service will feature pupils from all of the Barnstaple schools, including Park School and Pilton Community College, plus youngsters from Pathfield and Pilton Bluecoats. A total of 13 schools will be attending.
Children will assemble at the war memorial in the park at 10.45am for the short service, which will be conducted by the Reverend David Fletcher of Barnstaple Parish Church, himself a former serviceman.
Organised by the Barnstaple British Legion, the service introduces a whole new generation of people to the importance of remembering the fallen of all conflicts.
You may also want to watch:
The Exhortation will be read out and the Last Post played, followed by the traditional two minutes silence at 11am before young people from each school place wreaths at the memorial.
Dignitaries in attendance are expected to include Devon County Council chairman Councillor Jeremy Yabsley plus the Chairman of north Devon Council, Councillor Sue Haywood and the Mayor of Barnstaple Councillor Ian Roome.
- 1 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 2 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 North Devon architectural practice appoints new director
- 5 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 6 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 7 Legg Power in ChemoHero fundraising
- 8 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch
- 9 Meet former Children's Laureate Michael Morpurgo in Barnstaple
- 10 Fangtastic half-term Halloween fun at Yeo Valley Woodland