Barnstaple children remember war heroes
HUNDREDS of school children turned out to pay their respects to fallen British soldiers at a special remembrance service at Rock Park in Barnstaple today (Friday). Pupils from all 13 of the town s primary and secondary schools attended the seventh annual
HUNDREDS of school children turned out to pay their respects to fallen British soldiers at a special remembrance service at Rock Park in Barnstaple today (Friday).
Pupils from all 13 of the town's primary and secondary schools attended the seventh annual Children's Remembrance Service, conducted by Father John Gilbert of Barnstaple Parish Church and the Reverend Paul Niemiec of St John the Baptist Church, Newport.
Pairs of youngsters laid poppy wreaths, many of them beautifully made in school, to mark the end of a short, but poignant ceremony at the war memorial.
"It's so lovely to see all the schools in Barnstaple attend this year," said Mike Harrison of the Barnstaple British Legion.
You may also want to watch:
"It's is very informal fun service but it gives young people the chance to realise what Remembrance Day is all about.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 3 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 4 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 5 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 6 Contactless donation station for Chemohero at Affinity Devon
- 7 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 8 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 9 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 10 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub