Barnstaple children remember war heroes
HUNDREDS of school children turned out to pay their respects to fallen British soldiers at a special remembrance service at Rock Park in Barnstaple today (Friday). Pupils from all 13 of the town s primary and secondary schools attended the seventh annual
HUNDREDS of school children turned out to pay their respects to fallen British soldiers at a special remembrance service at Rock Park in Barnstaple today (Friday).
Pupils from all 13 of the town's primary and secondary schools attended the seventh annual Children's Remembrance Service, conducted by Father John Gilbert of Barnstaple Parish Church and the Reverend Paul Niemiec of St John the Baptist Church, Newport.
Pairs of youngsters laid poppy wreaths, many of them beautifully made in school, to mark the end of a short, but poignant ceremony at the war memorial.
"It's so lovely to see all the schools in Barnstaple attend this year," said Mike Harrison of the Barnstaple British Legion.
You may also want to watch:
"It's is very informal fun service but it gives young people the chance to realise what Remembrance Day is all about.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 2 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 3 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 4 Chivenor marines among UK troops hit by Norway Covid outbreak
- 5 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 6 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 7 Work begins on Northam Burrows Visitor Centre refurbishment
- 8 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 9 Masked burglars make Bideford garage cigarette smash and grab
- 10 Football league teams up with Northern Devon Foodbank