Barnstaple carnival royalty get ready for town’s big day
- Credit: Archant
Lauren, Errin and Holly chosen to lead the parade on September 21.
BARNSTAPLE is getting ready for carnival day on Saturday, September 21 – and that includes this year’s carnival royalty.
Petroc A-level student Lauren Adams, 16, from Barnstaple, has been chosen to lead the parade as carnival queen.
She will be accompanied by carnival princesses, Errin Fee, 8, also from Barnstaple, and Holly Griffin, 9, from Landkey.
The girls applied to take part and were selected during interviews at the Barnstaple Hotel on August 19.
You may also want to watch:
The selection panel included Barnstaple Carnival Committee chairman Andy Shiner, deputy mayor Val Elkins and Maureen Thomas of St John Ambulance.
Former Pilton Community College pupil Lauren, who is chairman of Barnstaple Youth Council, said she was already excited about the big day.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 3 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 4 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 5 Contactless donation station for Chemohero at Affinity Devon
- 6 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 7 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 8 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 9 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 10 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
“It will be great to be part of the parade; I’m looking forward to riding in the horse and carriage.”
Errin, who attends Our Lady’s School, is in the Brownies and a keen ballet dancer. Holly, who goes to Landkey Primary, is also a Brownie and enjoys cross-country running.
Barnstaple Carnival is part of the ancient Barnstaple Fair celebrations, said to be as old as the town itself.
The fair will be opened during a traditional proclamation ceremony in the Guildhall on Wednesday, September 18. Speakers will include the North Devon Gazette’s Graham Harris, who will be responding to a toast to the prosperity of Barnstaple.
See next week’s Gazette for information about the fair and carnival routes and times.